Colusa, California Crime Statistics

Colusa is a small town in California with a population of about 6,000. It has a significant amount of crime for a town of its size. In 2012, Colusa experienced 11 violent crimes and 170 property crimes.

How does Colusa’s crime rate compare to other U.S. locales? According to the Safety Index, Colusa’s rate is higher than most. It received a 25 out of 100 on this index. This means that Colusa is safer than 25% of cities and, consequently, more dangerous than the remaining 75%. This is significant since most cities are considerably larger than Colusa.

Colusa Crime Statistics

The data outlined below was compiled using the information provided by a number of Colusa law enforcement agencies. It is reported from crime statistics from 2012, which is the most recent year that data is available. The Safety Index statistics include rates for seven different crimes: forcible rape, armed robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft.

These statistics do not depict incarceration rates. In fact, offenders may not have been incarcerated at all but may have been able to post bail using the bail bond process. This process allows the accused to be released pending trial. The bail bondsman acts as a surety that the accused will appear in court at the appointed time. In order to work with a bail bondsman, an accused must be able to show he has assets that can be drawn on in the event he fails to appear in court.

Violent Crime

The violent crime rate in Colusa in 2012 was 1.81 per thousand. Assault was the most common crime, followed by robbery, rape and then murder.

California’s violent crime rate (which includes large cities like Los Angeles) was several points higher, at 4.23 per thousand. In the United States, violent crime was 3.9 per thousand, just under California’s rate.

At first glance, it may appear that Colusa has a lower rate of violent crime than the U.S. median. However, when the statistics are broken down, a different picture emerges. Colusa actually has a higher murder rate (0.16 per thousand) than the U.S. median (0.05 per thousand). The same was true for rape—Colusa’s rate (0.33 per thousand) was higher than the U.S. rate (0.27 per thousand).

Property Crime

Colusa’s rate of property crime is about the same as the California average. A citizen of Colusa has a 1 in 36 chance of becoming a victim of a property crime. The chances are the same in other parts of California—1 in 36.

Other Colusa Crime Statistics confirm this. In Colusa, 28.03 people out of every 1000 experience property crime. In California, the rate is just slightly lower at 27.59 per thousand.

How does Colusa compare to the U.S. in property crime? It’s a mixed bag. Colusa’s burglary rate (11.71 per thousand) is almost double that of the U.S. (6.7 per thousand). However, the U.S.’s crime rates are higher in the areas of general theft and motor vehicle theft.

Hopefully, one never finds themselves in trouble with the law, but if this situation arises, a good bail bond agent is needed to help.
Consider reading about Fresno Crime Stats